HIGHLIGHTS

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Overkill on anchor chain

Since I'm a novice sailor, and usually fairly reckless with my equipment, I try to take a few conservative measures, just to even the score. So I upgraded my anchor rode to make sure if I anchored in some crazy surfspot I could feel confident about holding strong. Previously the Raza had 60 feet of chain with 200 feet of nylon line - which is already a respectable amount, especially with a 35 pound Bruce on the end. Now I've got a massive 210 feet of chain (5/16in)with the 200 feet of nylon line for backup.



The paint was painted white every 15 feet, with red paint on the links to indicate how much chain I've already put out. I use this system every time I anchor, because otherwise it's hard to tell how much chain is left. It's very practical.

Not too long ago, Chris fouled the anchor line on the "Al Azar" and the nylon line actually sawed through his keel, opening a gaping hole and nearly sinking him. I heard you can't go wrong with an all-chain rode. It's just really really heavy, especially when I had no bow roller. Chris gave me a roller though, and after a few modifications (ie sawing off bits of the toe rail) I managed to install it properly. Now all I need is a manual windlass, if I want to spare my back, which has already been getting quite sore.

No comments: