HIGHLIGHTS

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Orcas in the SB Channel

Sailing to the Santa Barbara Channel Islands with Miguel and Luna.

After cruising last year for 6 months between Morro Bay and the Channel Islands, I sold my Columbia 29 "Tabula Raza" to Miguel in October '06. Since then we've become good friends, and I've helped him get started on the sailboat life. He's living aboard the Raza in Santa Barbara.

We sailed on my birthday, the afternoon of March 30th. The conditions were gorgeous. Then in the late evening we had an amazing encounter: as I stood on deck a huge fin came out of the water 500 feet away.

An orca whale! We changed course to follow the beauty and ended up seeing Momma Orca - a massive fin and incredible white spots. Holy mooly. At that point we figured we should get on course for Lady's Harbor in Santa Cruz Island. I was buzzing with excitement for hours - what a great present for my 26th birthday.






No comments: