HIGHLIGHTS

Monday, April 21, 2008

Springtime renewal

During the winter, I was doing the 2 weeks in, 1 week out of the harbor program. While out of the harbor, since the boat was anchored so far away (winter anchorage rules), so I didn't stay on the boat - I just anchored it and would typically stay at my friends' house. Many thanks to Scott Webb, Kym Kline, and others for lending me a hand!

Taking Sarah, Dave, and friend out for a sunset sail in February

April 1st was the beginning of summer anchorage rules, and all the boats are anchored near Stern's Wharf again - which makes things much more convenient. I spent the last two weeks in the harbor, doing 'spring cleaning', repairing the boat's electrical system and various things. Finally today at 6:30am I motored the boat out of the harbor and anchored by Stern's Wharf, my first time here since October last year.

It was a beautiful day - sunny and calm. The Black Pearl was anchored bow and stern so that she would ride into the swell and not roll too much. The Black Pearl has a funny disposition for rolling around tremendously so regardless of what I do she still likes to jump around. Still, it's nice to be out in the water - the beach with its palm trees on one side, the long horizon on the other.


Ed Bastian's 38foot Islander Uma Karuna cruising through East Beach

In the evening, I ride back from school and park my bike at the Wharf, climb down the ladder, hop on my dinghy, and row out to the boat. The sun is going down over the hill and it feels good to be rowing across the water. I've got a veggie burrito which I eat as the twilight sets, sitting in the cockpit on this still night.

I check my email and browse the net on my laptop, courtesy of my cel phone internet connection. It's pretty sweet, for $20/mo I was able to get unlimited access - a bit slow at times but acceptable. Night falls, and I'm bundled up so that I can work on my computer outside, so that I can keep track of the stars, which I haven't seen in awhile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We need more pictures! ;)

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for a year or so and find it quite informative and enjoyable. Always have I wanted a sailboat but thought it too expensive. Your blog was one of a few that convinced me that the cost could be kept quite low. I am now an owner of a old (1969) fiberglass boat and loving it. Yes, we do need more pictures.

Awaiting Greedily,
Scott