HIGHLIGHTS

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Diving - Gordon Rocks


Dive master Hugo showing us the layout of Gordon Rocks, my second dive in the Galapagos. He is the owner operator of Academy Bay Dive Center in Puerto Ayora.



Gordon Rocks is the best known site nearby Santa Cruz island to see hammerhead sharks. The strong currents flowing across the submerged crater attract the animals. Kym, Scott and I went, along with an English girl called Anushka.


We watched the school of hammerheads for about 1 minute. The 15+ big sharks above our heads had graceful and powerful silhoettes - a few made agitated, brusk movements that were slightly scary. I just clung to the rocks below me as the current swept by. It was surreal.




I lost track of how many turtles we saw, they were around every corner. Turtles are so relaxed, casual.


This white tip shark, also called a Tintorena, was sleeping on the rocks.


Spotted eagle rays, floating, flying.


Dive #7 for me.
Max depth: 91 feet
Total time: 42 min
Water temp: 22C/73F
Visibility: 30-50 feet
Current: strong - held onto rocks, then drifted
Surge: moderate

For more pictures, check out the album here.

No comments: